The physical act of writing your thoughts down and putting pen to paper, can be a powerful tool to help you clear your mind, and get rid of thoughts that might be bothering you that would otherwise keep circling in your mind. I’m not a heavy journal-er, but I do find a lot of value in writing things down – from ideas and observations to things that might be bothering me.
Here are 7 ideas to help make it easier for you to begin journaling:
- Set a specific time of day: Choose a time of day that works best for you and make it a daily habit to journal at that time. It could be first thing in the morning, right before bed, or during your lunch break.
- Keep it simple: Start with a simple journaling prompt or a gratitude list. This will make it easier to get into the habit of writing every day, and help you get your thoughts flowing.
- Carry your notebook with you: Keep a journal and pen with you at all times, so you can journal whenever you have a spare moment. Consider getting a smaller, thinner notebook such as a pocket notebook!
- Get a journal you like: If you want to spend time writing in your journal, get a journal you like! This will help you look forward to writing in it 🙂 (Shop Zen Scribbles)
- Experiment with different formats: Try different types of journaling, such as bullet journaling, gratitude journaling, or stream-of-consciousness journaling. You may find that one format is more appealing than another.
- Keep your journal accessible: Keep your journal and pen/pencil in a convenient place where you will see it often, such as on your nightstand or on your desk.
- Read your older entries: You’ll be surprised at what you wrote, and begin to enjoy getting a peek into yourself. You’ll be surprised at how much you forget. Even a week old entry can ready like you’d never seen it before!
Don’t be too hard on yourself if you miss a day or two. The most important thing is to keep trying and to be consistent. With time and practice, journaling can become a daily habit that will bring you many benefits.
Categories: Creativity, Daily routine, Inspiration
Leave a Reply